Delicious chocolate protein balls, lightly sweetened with dried apricots and honey. A great treat for after dinner, or a healthy snack on the go. Added whey protein makes these balls a perfect post work out snack too.
Not only do these chocolate balls provide plenty of antioxidants including flavanoids and carotenoids from the raw cacao and apricots, they also have immune boosting and appetite suppressing effects from coconut oil and whey protein powder. A great nutrient dense snack to keep you going during the day when you feel that chocolate craving coming on. A healthy alternative to a typical sugary chocolate snack.
Ingredients (10 balls):
- 20 dried apricots (choose organic sulphite free apricots for the healthiest and tastiest option. Note that apricots without preservatives are naturally darker in colour)
- 2 tbsp. cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. honey (Manuka honey is ideal due to it’s immune boosting anti bacterial properties)
- 2 handfuls of coconut chips (or dessicated coconut)
- 2 tsp. cashew nut butter
- 45g coconut oil (2 tbsp.)
- 2 tbsp. whey protein powder (I use Pulsin whey as it is derived from the milk of hormone-free outdoor-reared grass-fed cows)
1. Melt the coconut oil in a pan on a low heat for a few minutes until liquid.
2. On a plate, cover with 1 tbsp. cacao powder, ready to roll balls on. Prepare another clean plate for rolled balls.
3. Blend all remaining ingredients in a food processor, until you have a well mixed thick consistency.
4. Separate the mix out into 10 sections and roll into balls by hand. Note that although the balls may be quite soft now due to the melted coconut oil, they will set in the fridge. Once each ball is rolled into shape, lightly roll some of these onto the cacao powder covered plate for a variety in coatings and textures.
5. Place all balls on the clean plate and leave to set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Deliciously sweet and healthy protein balls are great as a handmade gift. Experiment with decorating with different coatings such as dessicated coconut or green matcha powder!