Good old carrot cake, nutritious, satisfying and everyone loves it. Add in some spice, whole grains and walnuts, and there you have a very nutritious high fibre and high protein delight.
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 200g wholemeal spelt flour
- 30g rolled oats
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 180g coarsely grated carrots
- 100ml agave syrup
- 100g coconut oil
- 100g natural plain yoghurt
- 1 large free range egg
- 40g walnuts
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
1. Set the oven to 180C and line a loaf tin with baking paper
2. Mix the spelt flour, oats, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl and add the grated carrots.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the agave syrup, coconut oil, yoghurt and egg. Beat well with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined and then gently fold this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Transfer the mix into the lined cake tin and evenly spread the top.
4. Transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes until your skewer comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds for a truly wholesome touch.
Have your first slice of cake warm with a thin layer of melting butter, and you will be in carrot cake heaven!