If you are a chocolate lover and you crave chocolate in the morning like I do, then why not satisfy those cravings with some ridiculously healthy chocolate pancakes!
A sugary chocolate bar may be very unhealthy, but raw cacao powder is full of iron and flavanoid antioxidants, so it’s definitely in the healthy list! Top this off with the vitamin C and other antioxidants in berries along with healthy fats from nuts and coconut oil and you have yourself a very healthy mix! Adding protein powder to pancakes gives you the added satiety ingredient, keeping you full for longer and keeping your metabolism high throughout the day.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 80 ml (1/4 mug) oat milk
- 2 eggs
- 10 hazelnuts / 1 tbsp. hazelnut butter
- 1 tbsp. whey protein powder (or rice protein powder for a vegan version)
- 1 tbsp. cacao
- 4 dates
- 4 tbsp. almond flour
- 1 tbsp. oat bran
- 100 g raspberries (2 big handfuls, can be from frozen)
1. Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat and melt the coconut oil.
2. In a food processor, mix the oat milk, eggs, hazelnuts, protein powder, cacao, dates, almond flour and oat bran
3. Pour the mix into the frying pan, to make 6 small pancakes. If you only have a small pan, you could make 3 pancakes at a time.
4. While the pancakes are cooking, add the raspberries to another pan with a dash of water and cook on a low heat, regularly stirring until they break apart to form a raspberry coulis.
5. After 2 minutes, or when the pancakes begin to stick together, gently turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Serve the pancakes stacked up high with the raspberry coulis poured over the top.
A great weekend breakfast to keep you very satisfied until it’s time for a roast dinner!